Created by ninjatuna 3 months ago, 16 Aug 2021
TooMuchEpoxy
61 posts
25 Sep 2021 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..

TooMuchEpoxy said..
First rides on a 925/72/60/232 today. (95kgs, waist high waves today) Wing size was fine did a couple of doubles and tripples but the mast flex and Mast Fuse Wing connection movement was a deal breaker. Constantly rattled by the flex in the turns and pumping in chop. Its a deal breaker. I'm done with it. Anyone in the US wants a gently used 925 complete DM me.

Id give it a few more cracks. I was all at sea (pardon the pun) my first session - and im on an even more flexible 85 mast and a bloody V tail. It was like tripping on acid. Second session started to work out its characteristics.

i then chopped my tips on the V tail - eliminated some.

and yesterday i rode it with a larger flat thin back tail. Even better but drag was apparent.

also pushed it hell far forward (8 ) on the new FG 4'5 prone. Even better.

turned a red plus one shim around to make a minus 1 and whacked the chopped V tail on a zero shim (making minus 1 on the old system) - even better

that being said my son went the other way and went all the way back to 1.5 - felt better for him.

Message is i suppose give it a few cracks again and try to tune and adjust technique - then it comes alive. Its a technical wing until it isnt.

went back out on my 1250 and that felt as dead as a dead dog. its addictive as.

flex is a personal preference thing. I got back on an alloy axis setup the other day, the black series is really sweet actually but felt really dead for me.

Ive seen guys ripping on all different armie wings, axis gear, takuma, lift.. Find ya slot.

Being 100kgs and an aggressive surf foiler has really put me in a tight spot. Not a lot of reviews I can really trust. Loved my takuma 1210 despot the annoying flex on the rig.. bent a mast. Put an axis mast on it. Loved it for 2 weeks..bent a fuse.

The 925 wing Size is 100% in my ballpark it just needs to be on a reliable setup. I found that flex to be very unreliable. If I'm buying the most expensive setup in the industry I want that SOB to be reliable out of the box. I should be impressed and I'm not.

Anyone 220 lbs plus aggressive surf foiling (3+ loops, cutbacks) on an Armstrong? I'd love to hear from someone else in that range.
Axis mast was fantastic tho so I'll probably go to that next.

Taking it out for another dip today. I'll post some unbiased side by side impressions with the Lift 120.

hilly
WA, 6303 posts
25 Sep 2021 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

105kg have not problems.

eppo
WA, 8600 posts
26 Sep 2021 7:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TooMuchEpoxy said..

eppo said..

TooMuchEpoxy said..
First rides on a 925/72/60/232 today. (95kgs, waist high waves today) Wing size was fine did a couple of doubles and tripples but the mast flex and Mast Fuse Wing connection movement was a deal breaker. Constantly rattled by the flex in the turns and pumping in chop. Its a deal breaker. I'm done with it. Anyone in the US wants a gently used 925 complete DM me.

Id give it a few more cracks. I was all at sea (pardon the pun) my first session - and im on an even more flexible 85 mast and a bloody V tail. It was like tripping on acid. Second session started to work out its characteristics.

i then chopped my tips on the V tail - eliminated some.

and yesterday i rode it with a larger flat thin back tail. Even better but drag was apparent.

also pushed it hell far forward (8 ) on the new FG 4'5 prone. Even better.

turned a red plus one shim around to make a minus 1 and whacked the chopped V tail on a zero shim (making minus 1 on the old system) - even better

that being said my son went the other way and went all the way back to 1.5 - felt better for him.

Message is i suppose give it a few cracks again and try to tune and adjust technique - then it comes alive. Its a technical wing until it isnt.

went back out on my 1250 and that felt as dead as a dead dog. its addictive as.

flex is a personal preference thing. I got back on an alloy axis setup the other day, the black series is really sweet actually but felt really dead for me.

Ive seen guys ripping on all different armie wings, axis gear, takuma, lift.. Find ya slot.

Being 100kgs and an aggressive surf foiler has really put me in a tight spot. Not a lot of reviews I can really trust. Loved my takuma 1210 despot the annoying flex on the rig.. bent a mast. Put an axis mast on it. Loved it for 2 weeks..bent a fuse.

The 925 wing Size is 100% in my ballpark it just needs to be on a reliable setup. I found that flex to be very unreliable. If I'm buying the most expensive setup in the industry I want that SOB to be reliable out of the box. I should be impressed and I'm not.

Anyone 220 lbs plus aggressive surf foiling (3+ loops, cutbacks) on an Armstrong? I'd love to hear from someone else in that range.
Axis mast was fantastic tho so I'll probably go to that next.

Taking it out for another dip today. I'll post some unbiased side by side impressions with the Lift 120.

Armie foils need tuning to the individual. Its not plug and play say like a takuma 1210 (front foot pressure is not obvious or in your face) - especially with the HA stuff. These wings just ride differently

The HS is far more plug and play - especially the 1250 or 1550/1850 for bigger guys but even that takes a bit of time depending on your weight, riding preferences, water conditions and mostly i think your current ability. As ive improved, tails have got smaller, thinner, shims have moved more to neutral from minus and masts have moved more forward, although im still pretty crap at it relatively.
flex wise, give it a bit of time, you may learn to not only enjoy it but use it as well.

kobo
NSW, 743 posts
26 Sep 2021 10:59AM
Thumbs Up

Little amount of reactive flex or 'spring back ' is great, mainly in and out of loaded turns and while pumping.Too much flex feels wobbly unstable and unpredictable and it sucks.If the joint connections are loose this can happen on a good setup and can be fixed,If you have a soft mast or flexing wings ,there's nothing you can do. Have experienced both, I'm only 84kg and prone and I've never had any problems on the Armstrong gear.

TooMuchEpoxy
61 posts
26 Sep 2021 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

Flex as a beneficial factor is, unfortunately, highly load dependent. It's quite conceivable
that what's great for an average rider feels like garbage for someone my size. Just want to provide my data point.220 lbs and I hate it.

A lot of the bad flex is probably related to twist/yaw dynamics. If I was willing to invest the time to chop the 232 or build a flat tail with less vertical bite to twist that fuse I might end up happier with it. Unfortunately not worth the financial risk in screwing with a $2400 foil that I might continue to hate in 3 months. When I buy the most expensive foil in the industry I expect it to perform as such out of the box without me having to screw with it.

eppo
WA, 8600 posts
26 Sep 2021 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

Fair enough man sounds like the the individual tuning nature built into the armie gear is not for you. Move on and let us know. Maybe try unifoils, heard good things.

TooMuchEpoxy
61 posts
26 Sep 2021 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..
Fair enough man sounds like the the individual tuning nature built into the armie gear is not for you. Move on and let us know. Maybe try unifoils, heard good things.

Unifoil straight up tells you to F off if your over 180 lbs

kobo
NSW, 743 posts
26 Sep 2021 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TooMuchEpoxy said..

eppo said..

Yeh I definitely wouldn't go unifoil , It does seem unusual that you are having this trouble with the setup when others your weight even on SUPs with longer mast and more torque forces haven't .Have you tried another Armstrong setup the same, just to make sure yours doesn't have some fault. Otherwise I'd be going Axis (19mm) ,Starboard or Gofoil (newer models) for stiffer options.

TooMuchEpoxy
61 posts
26 Sep 2021 8:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kobo said..

TooMuchEpoxy said..

eppo said..

Yeh I definitely wouldn't go unifoil , It does seem unusual that you are having this trouble with the setup when others your weight even on SUPs with longer mast and more torque forces haven't .Have you tried another Armstrong setup the same, just to make sure yours doesn't have some fault. Otherwise I'd be going Axis (19mm) ,Starboard or Gofoil (newer models) for stiffer options.

Oho sups put less force on a foil not more. That weight is like a damper to putting force on a foil while your riding, preventing sudden movements and slowing load changes. No doubt it puts more force in when you run aground but pretty hard to notice that flex when your flying off the board.
Aggressive prone is definitely the most demanding on a foil besides maybe windsurfing. So few good prone riders in this weight class the only way to know is to try.

eppo
WA, 8600 posts
27 Sep 2021 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh that is true you dont see too many prone surfers at your weight. Good point. Recon maybe axis back series with their really stiff ali mast might be worth a crack then.

windara
QLD, 255 posts
30 Sep 2021 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
emmafoils said..

frenchfoiler said..
What about the stab ? What people think about the Vtail vs "classic tail" ? What is the pros and cons from the Vtail ?

I now wing with the 1125 almost exclusively. It took me a couple of sessions to learn to ride it but now everything else feels too draggy. I use the 232 tail. It is infinitely easier than the V which I found very pitch unstable ( even with the 1550). I think part of the problem with the V is that it is so thin, it flexes too much. I may chop a 232 next but don't plan on going back to the V.
I haven't tried the 925 yet but I believe from the out set, they marketed it as having a lower stall speed than the 1125 to address this common criticism of the 1125. In reality, it cannot have a lower stall speed than the 925 and still do everything else that is claimed. Even Armstrong cannot supercede the mathematics of lift.

Hi. Did you shim the 232 tail wing? If so which shim and do you think it made any difference?

foilthegreats
290 posts
14 Oct 2021 6:16AM
Thumbs Up

The chart:

foilthegreats
290 posts
4 Nov 2021 10:36PM
Thumbs Up

frenchfoiler
342 posts
5 Nov 2021 1:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
foilthegreats said..

I like those reviews but when you look at the conditios, those are just perfect : super glassy, I'm guessing even if it is small there is some energy.
When you foil in choppy conditions, with current, turbulences, white water to deal, etc... it is a different story, that is what I would love to see more in some reviews.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Armstrong 925, any other new ones" started by ninjatuna