Axis new "B" series foils and 980 front wing

Created by wicka 1 month ago, 21 Nov 2020
wicka
VIC, 10 posts
5 Dec 2020 11:21AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hairybear01 said..
I'm not a team rider just an average customer and pay allot of money for all my gear.

Ok so Axis is now running with two different standards for fuselage mount to wings red and black.
As a foil addict this is giving me a headache. Do I run with two different fuselage standards. Do I sell all my red wings and change to black. Has the red resale value gone out the window? Do I change to another brand. They don't appear to be backward compatible WTF?

Solution needed: Is it possible to engineer an alloy adaptor plate that screws to old wings that we can bolt the black fuselage to? Only need to run black fuse with plates on red wings?

Even better can we make a fuselage that fits both red and black? Red wings now compatible to black and not totally redundant.?

Someone can correct me but I think the main reason axis has changed the fuselage design is because wings are getting much thinner to reduce drag and become more efficient. The red fuse mount is too thick to accommodate the newer thinner design of the wings so they needed to make the change to keep up with the competition.

hairybear01
SA, 30 posts
5 Dec 2020 12:00PM
Thumbs Up

New thinner wing changes look great, I would love to give them a try.
What I'm saying is can we make a black head fit in a red hole. After all we are just talking an alloy plate, tap and thread a few holes and few more bolts or is it designed to not make this possible?

Piros
QLD, 6097 posts
5 Dec 2020 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hairybear01 said..
New thinner wing changes look great, I would love to give them a try.
What I'm saying is can we make a black head fit in a red hole. After all we are just talking an alloy plate, tap and thread a few holes and few more bolts or is it designed to not make this possible?

No ii's very different, the whole thing has change 3 dimensionally and it's not flat underneath it's two different angles. it's not impossible but in reality cheaper to just buy the new fuse .The only way you could do it is by CNC machine . The Black fuse itself is only $390 retail just buy it .

eppo
WA, 7650 posts
5 Dec 2020 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

Nah I'm waiting for the blue ultra wing series myself....

Holoholo
108 posts
6 Dec 2020 12:15AM
Thumbs Up

Has anyone done much surfing on the 980? Is there a practical application on a prone for this thing w/ that wingspan- does it turn reasonably... or should I do the mature, measured thing and wait for something smaller. I'm mostly prone surfing.... like any good foil addict, have the need for speed, addicted to glide... always tempted by the next best thing, but...... cha$ing that dragon I$ $ucking my wallet dry.

Hdip
146 posts
6 Dec 2020 3:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..
Comparison pics of the 1010 & 980 big difference in cord and wing tips . Have a look how more streamlined the black fuse connection is on the 980 compared to the 1010.

I'm prone surf only and playing the waiting game. They have lots of new wings coming out next year.

I just went back and looked at the pictures again. Doesn't look like they can make a "doodad" so that a 760 can fit on the black series fuse. That's frustrating. I do love the 760.

shaka808
6 posts
6 Dec 2020 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

I've been proning on the 980 for a few days now. Turns very similar to the 910, but with the speed of the 900 or faster. Pumps unreal, more of the 900 porpoise style acceleration compared to the slow tapping pump of the 910. Overhead surf and high speed it's a little twitchy in the pitch axis and is subject to side slipping the front wing if you try and top/bottom turn too hard with too much speed. Can breach the wing and barely notice a loss of lift. Overall, it's amazing wing that combines the speed and efficiency of the 900 with the roll rate and turning of the 910. The black series fuse has a different bolt pattern than the old red one, FYI.

WA Surf & Foil
WA, 249 posts
6 Dec 2020 11:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hairybear01 said..
I'm not a team rider just an average customer and pay allot of money for all my gear.

Ok so Axis is now running with two different standards for fuselage mount to wings red and black.
As a foil addict this is giving me a headache. Do I run with two different fuselage standards. Do I sell all my red wings and change to black. Has the red resale value gone out the window? Do I change to another brand. They don't appear to be backward compatible WTF?

Solution needed: Is it possible to engineer an alloy adaptor plate that screws to old wings that we can bolt the black fuselage to? Only need to run black fuse with plates on red wings?

Even better can we make a fuselage that fits both red and black? Red wings now compatible to black and not totally redundant.?

Do yourself a favour and buy an Armstrong

Alysum
NSW, 678 posts
8 Dec 2020 8:44AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WA Surf & Foil said..

hairybear01 said..

Do yourself a favour and buy an Armstrong

Wrong thread Armstrong are slow, expensive and don't have HA wings.

hilly
WA, 5812 posts
8 Dec 2020 5:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Alysum said.. Armstrong are slow, expensive and don't have HA wings.

not sure how slow they are. Jas came second in the King of the Cut on a Armstrong. Same price as a carbon mast Axis too. oh and they surf well too. hijack over and out

Twimby
WA, 452 posts
8 Dec 2020 10:42AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..

not sure how slow they are. Jas came second in the King of the Cut on a Armstrong. Same price as a carbon mast Axis too. oh and they surf well too. hijack over and out

You are becoming the Armstrong version of DJ

Piros
QLD, 6097 posts
8 Dec 2020 1:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shaka808 said..
I've been proning on the 980 for a few days now. Turns very similar to the 910, but with the speed of the 900 or faster. Pumps unreal, more of the 900 porpoise style acceleration compared to the slow tapping pump of the 910. Overhead surf and high speed it's a little twitchy in the pitch axis and is subject to side slipping the front wing if you try and top/bottom turn too hard with too much speed. Can breach the wing and barely notice a loss of lift. Overall, it's amazing wing that combines the speed and efficiency of the 900 with the roll rate and turning of the 910. The black series fuse has a different bolt pattern than the old red one, FYI.

Totally agree on the slide slipping of the 980 especially with the flat tail. When you are Winging you can hear the rear wing ripping the surface open pushing it hard in a turn. Just my personal thought but I'm now starting to question whether the tail on top of the fuse suits the new really HA wings. All my other rigs run the tail under the fuse and I've never experienced that on any of those. Other than the sliding the 980 is fine it doesn't throw you off and I'm sure some guys will really like the slide. Just my thoughts and still a killer fast wing , but it does need constant momentum to keep rolling through, you have to be very careful foiling through dead patches it will come down very quickly if you don't keep the energy up to it , it's a fast foil that needs to be ridden fast , I learned that on the weekend after a couple of long downwinders.

hilly
WA, 5812 posts
8 Dec 2020 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Twimby said..You are becoming the Armstrong version of DJ

yeh na I have Smik board and wings
oops I promised not to hijack again.

Piros
QLD, 6097 posts
8 Dec 2020 4:03PM
Thumbs Up

More to Hillys Hijack after watching Armies post on mid aspect being easier to ride , I tend to agree . Although you may have a higher top speed on a HA wing , you may not be necessarily quicker over a long distance because of crashes and having to bear off to maintain speed. I'm hell-bent on going as fast as I can but must admit I still haven't broken my DW PB on the higher aspect wings yet.

eppo
WA, 7650 posts
8 Dec 2020 2:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..

He did well considering his start .... bhahahahhahahahahha

emmafoils
253 posts
8 Dec 2020 5:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..
More to Hillys Hijack after watching Armies post on mid aspect being easier to ride , I tend to agree . Although you may have a higher top speed on a HA wing , you may not be necessarily quicker over a long distance because of crashes and having to bear off to maintain speed. I'm hell-bent on going as fast as I can but must admit I still haven't broken my DW PB on the higher aspect wings yet.

Couple of excellent posts about the realities of HA wings. Do you think some of the challenges presented by the higher stall speed of the 980 can be mitigated by a bit more surface area such as with the 1050 while still keeping the benefits of HA?

kobo
NSW, 492 posts
8 Dec 2020 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone tried the hs1250 for DW?

hilly
WA, 5812 posts
8 Dec 2020 6:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kobo said..
Anyone tried the hs1250 for DW?

Was riding wind swell today. The 1250 worked a treat wingding DW, that should translate to prone DW if lighter than my 105 pies.

hilly
WA, 5812 posts
8 Dec 2020 6:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..mid aspect being easier to ride , I tend to agree .

Yep, less time in the water made me faster DW paddling on a slightly wider board. Although I was never fast

baldy123
WA, 121 posts
8 Dec 2020 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

I've used the HS1250 heaps on the wing downwind. It's awesome.
Perfect mix of speed, pump, carve and glide.
My best 1km average is 26km/h.
Peaks out around 32-33km on wind swell on the ding.

emmafoils
253 posts
8 Dec 2020 9:43PM
Thumbs Up

No doubt the 1250 is a great, fast foil. The question is whether it has enough lift to paddle up on for the average paddler. Hence the interested in the bigger Axis foils.

baldy123
WA, 121 posts
8 Dec 2020 11:05PM
Thumbs Up

There's no way I'll be trying the HS1250 on the SUP downwind with a paddle anytime soon at 85kg. If you're sub 65kg it might be possible on sup. The axis 1010 is far easier wing of choice for the average built person. HS1250 is definitely possible to prone DW if you tow up or have a wave to chip in on and pump out back.

Alysum
NSW, 678 posts
9 Dec 2020 7:57AM
Thumbs Up

Can we please keep this thread clean and focused on the axis black series? There's plenty of Armstrong threads for the fanbois thank you

eppo
WA, 7650 posts
9 Dec 2020 8:13AM
Thumbs Up

I have to agree with above here fellas....

hilly
WA, 5812 posts
9 Dec 2020 8:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Alysum said..Can we please keep this thread clean and focused

This will start a new trend

MidTide
QLD, 23 posts
10 Dec 2020 5:28PM
Thumbs Up

What's the best rear wing to use with the 980 wing?
for glide and pumping? I have the 460 rear wing and found it better without the shim, would a larger rear wing help with glide and pumping?

Alysum
NSW, 678 posts
11 Dec 2020 9:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MidTide said..
What's the best rear wing to use with the 980 wing?
for glide and pumping? I have the 460 rear wing and found it better without the shim, would a larger rear wing help with glide and pumping?

Chop down the 460 or wait for the new 420.

Piros
QLD, 6097 posts
12 Dec 2020 8:34AM
Thumbs Up

The 1020 but you'll out grow it very fast

Alysum
NSW, 678 posts
12 Dec 2020 11:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..
The 1020 but you'll out grow it very fast

Wot

broVan
24 posts
13 Dec 2020 12:45AM
Thumbs Up

Finally got a session in on the 980! Moon Buddy 80L, 83cm mast, 460 tail, ultra short black fuse, SS V2 4.4m, 85Kg, mast all the way back, no shim. Snowing, 5-30mph, drysuit, no problem. This foil won't fly until my board is moving a bit faster than what I am used to. There is a weird moment where I try to pump up and it does a horrible continuous stall freak out thing. I think the recommended -1% shim would probably mitigate this. Once I cross over that board speed needed, it comes right up. When flying, the 980 is the chit! I am coming off riding the 1150 and 1010 lately. So I am balls deep into wide HA wings. The most notable character is that I can operate this wing with very slight control inputs from my feet/ankles even toes. My stance became more centerline than I was riding with the other bigger wings. All of the dimensions roll pitch yah, are way more sensitive to inputs. This is not a beginner foil for that reason, but I never suspected it would be. I have been skateboarding a lot of bowls lately and am able to correlate the turning sensitivity to that of skating. It is instant feedback, no delay. This is very exciting! I haven't felt a foil this ripping, loose and sensitive since kiting on the SS Apollo 60(shrunken version of the Moses 633). My winging career, like many of you, has been mostly giant, slowish foils. This is kitefoiling without the kite. Mission accomplished! I was able to slash waves(lake chop) way faster and effortless. The glide is redonk. The wingding felt so light in my hands due to this. Going straight upwind was easier than normal, without feeling loaded up. Pumping cadence seemed to be slower than the 1150/1010. It felt as though it wanted to glide longer in between pumps. This will be greatly rewarding as I dial it in more. I have a 105cm mast on order and think that the extra altitude will be a huge advantage to the gliding. Start high and glide the foil down deeper slowly then pump back up to full height and repeat. I am stoked to see what the New York Foilguy finds out about the gliding of the 980. The speed was better than the 1010 but I quickly found the max. It seemed that bearing off wind kind of 45% that it went fastest. Anyways, stoked to be experiencing wingfoiling development first hand instead of just reading about it. If you are an Axis guy or gal and on the fence about investing in the Black Series, my advice is like Laird said "There's only two things happening in life, either you're going down or you're going up."
Send It!!!!!!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Axis new "B" series foils and 980 front wing" started by wicka