Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

Riding advice on Armstrong HS 1250 Please?:-)

Created by Johndesu > 9 months ago, 17 Jan 2022
Johndesu
NSW, 549 posts
17 Jan 2022 3:14PM
Thumbs Up

Had my first sup surf 1-2ft on my HS 1250 this morning and was just blown away by the speed (I am use to the 1550v2 & smaller waves/swell) but it was a bit different / hard to ride (I am only a beginner at pumping but I can do ok on the larger wings (1550v2/v1 & 1850) but when I turned / carved and also when tilting the foil down a bit to race the wave section - well I went into turbo speed mode & covered 50 meters in a flash and then would usually fall off, I am just wondering if there are any tips & technique that I can use to help me ride / surf it better? & also I find it quite hard to pump, - and also what is the best technique / style that I should adopt? thanks:-)

Pasquales
201 posts
18 Jan 2022 3:41AM
Thumbs Up

In my experience, 1250 (non chopped/72/60/232) requires more finesse. I weigh 90 kgs and can easily over pump, where too much pressure causes the foil to sink instead of glide. By doing shorter faster pumps, the 1250 can run and get you going. It's a fun in swell, feels like it travels at the right speed, and doesn't out run the wave. It also handles drops and feels really pitch stable. I use the old +1 tail shim, to make for controlled lift. When turning, I tend to use a more drawn out movements. Key is to keep speed up and not crank to hard and breach the tips. I use the 1250 for prone and winging and find it a jack of all trades.

Johndesu
NSW, 549 posts
18 Jan 2022 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Pasquales said..
In my experience, 1250 (non chopped/72/60/232) requires more finesse. I weigh 90 kgs and can easily over pump, where too much pressure causes the foil to sink instead of glide. By doing shorter faster pumps, the 1250 can run and get you going. It's a fun in swell, feels like it travels at the right speed, and doesn't out run the wave. It also handles drops and feels really pitch stable. I use the old +1 tail shim, to make for controlled lift. When turning, I tend to use a more drawn out movements. Key is to keep speed up and not crank to hard and breach the tips. I use the 1250 for prone and winging and find it a jack of all trades.

Ok thanks pasquales I tried the 1250 with a -2 ish / -1 3/4 titanium shim today (instead of the zero shim as I am pretty light under 65kg) in similar conditions & it pumped a bit better but I think I understand what you mean, I later switched to the 1550v2 (because the waves size dropped about 1ft & under) and I think the 1250 is a better wing, seems to be faster & more fun, I usually sup my Nasih 5.7 wing board but I will also try Prone & Winging soon:-)

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Riding advice on Armstrong HS 1250 Please?:-)" started by Johndesu