Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Starboar All Star 2018 or Generation

Created by St3B > 9 months ago, 30 Sep 2021
St3B
6 posts
30 Sep 2021 4:09AM
Thumbs Up

Hi everyone I found this awesome forum in search of information about the Starboard Generation, but also found loads inf interesting information.

I would be grateful if you could help me out with my buying decision as I am fairly new to paddle surfing having used iSUPs for the past 2 years.
I want to make a step up and buy a hard board that lets me go out on tours in choppy conditions and maybe do some downwinding. Due to storage restrictions I was looking at 12.6 boards and came across the Starboard Generation. At the same time I was presented with a nice offer for a 2018 All Star which is around 150? cheaper than a used 2020 Generation.

Which would be better for my skill level - beginner and for choppy conditions?
2018 All Star 12.6x26" or Generation 12.6x28"
I weight around 90Kg with a height of 186cm

Thanks in advance

riverider
TAS, 1096 posts
30 Sep 2021 6:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
St3B said..
Hi everyone I found this awesome forum in search of information about the Starboard Generation, but also found loads inf interesting information.

I would be grateful if you could help me out with my buying decision as I am fairly new to paddle surfing having used iSUPs for the past 2 years.
I want to make a step up and buy a hard board that lets me go out on tours in choppy conditions and maybe do some downwinding. Due to storage restrictions I was looking at 12.6 boards and came across the Starboard Generation. At the same time I was presented with a nice offer for a 2018 All Star which is around 150? cheaper than a used 2020 Generation.

Which would be better for my skill level - beginner and for choppy conditions?
2018 All Star 12.6x26" or Generation 12.6x28"
I weight around 90Kg with a height of 186cm

Thanks in advance

Hi St3b, the All Star will be faster, but the Generation will be a lot more fun for what you want to do.

Tardy
4919 posts
30 Sep 2021 6:00AM
Thumbs Up

If you are a beginner ,do yourself a favour and get the 28 wide ..more stability in chop ,enjoy your first hard board ,so much better
if you wanted to surf a board that size maybe check the sunova 12 search out .

St3B
6 posts
30 Sep 2021 2:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Thanks for the feedback

@riveride That's what I thought as well, just wasn't sure how big the difference is between the 2 boards. Especially stability wise. The Allstar is just very alluring price wise and I am on a tight budget.

@Tardy Like I said above if there is a big difference I go for the more stable board. Surfing is not top priority, just catching some swell. Synovia boards look really nice, apart from being out of my budget they seem hard to come by in Spain.

WaveScience
VIC, 131 posts
1 Oct 2021 11:35AM
Thumbs Up

The Generation is going to be a lot more stable than the All Star and that's beyond the extra 2" of width. It's also going to be less prone to side chop and wind because of its lower profile. Just remember though, if you are not surfing it, take out the side fins as they do nothing but drag and slow you down in flat water.

St3B
6 posts
1 Oct 2021 4:56PM
Thumbs Up

Great Feedback WaveScience. You all confirm my suspicion that I will enjoy the Generation a lot more. Since the used price is only around 200? cheaper I might as well wait for the 2022 edition to see if there are any improvements that are worthwhile. As for surfing on the Generation does it require a higher skill level to really catch the waves as it's not the typical surf shape?

burchas
335 posts
1 Oct 2021 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
St3B said..
Great Feedback WaveScience. You all confirm my suspicion that I will enjoy the Generation a lot more. Since the used price is only around 200? cheaper I might as well wait for the 2022 edition to see if there are any improvements that are worthwhile. As for surfing on the Generation does it require a higher skill level to really catch the waves as it's not the typical surf shape?

With either board you'll catch pretty much anything. Once on a wave the difference should be very noticeable
favoring the Generation in terms of control and trim. Surfing big boards is fun for what it is if you have good waves.

Wiping out on big boards could be a sketchy experience, either downwind or bigger surf. don't ask me how I know. Good idea to have leash that it's as long as the board to make sure the board is away from you as possible when
you do find your self in a situation.

St3B
6 posts
1 Oct 2021 10:44PM
Thumbs Up

Thx but has, will keep the longer leash in mind. I will get slowly into surfing and my main goals are more focused on downwinding and tours/workout in most conditions the sea offers.

WaveScience
VIC, 131 posts
4 Oct 2021 11:04AM
Thumbs Up

I think the Generation will be a great board to learn to catch waves as burchas says you can catch the smallest ripples with it. Turning with big boards is not easy but the profile, rails and side fins on the Generation definitely make it more suitable than a raceboard like the All Star. I wouldn't expect too drastic a change with the 2022 Generation. It's the sort of board that Starboard tends to get right and then stick with the same shape for quite a while. They don't do that with raceboards or performance surfboards but they do with these all-rounders. Chances are, they will change the graphics and they might offer a narrower version but otherwise keep the same shape.

burchas
335 posts
4 Oct 2021 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WaveScience said..
I think the Generation will be a great board to learn to catch waves as burchas says you can catch the smallest ripples with it. Turning with big boards is not easy but the profile, rails and side fins on the Generation definitely make it more suitable than a raceboard like the All Star. I wouldn't expect too drastic a change with the 2022 Generation. It's the sort of board that Starboard tends to get right and then stick with the same shape for quite a while. They don't do that with raceboards or performance surfboards but they do with these all-rounders. Chances are, they will change the graphics and they might offer a narrower version but otherwise keep the same shape.

I thinkWaveScience is right. The only reason I would wait for the 2022 models is to get even better prices for the 2021 clearance sale
If that's even possible at this stage?

St3B
6 posts
6 Oct 2021 2:02AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys, let's if I can find a bargain on a 2020 or 2021 model. In all cases it would be the litetech version. Maybe I luck out and find a used one in good shape for around 800?.

On more thing, would it make sense to get an adjustable for an allrounder like the Generation to be able to adapt in on the fly?

Damienpc
QLD, 16 posts
10 Nov 2021 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

I have both boards, a 2017 Allstar 14x27 and a 2020 Generation12.6x28 Carbon Top , both pickup swell easily but the Allstar is a lot harder to control on the wave. Definitely go for the Generation, a lot better for the beginner, a fantastic new design and a true all rounder that does everything reasonably well. One of the most exciting new models to come out of Starboard lately IMHO.

An nice light adjustable paddle would be my advice, you can tune the length to suit the conditions especially while your learning and still working things out. I love Naish paddles personally.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Starboar All Star 2018 or Generation" started by St3B