Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

comparing Starboard Pro 8'5" 2014 with 8'3" 2019

Created by Mlee > 9 months ago, 17 Oct 2021
Mlee
WA, 18 posts
17 Oct 2021 1:08PM
Thumbs Up

Hi. I am only able to afford used boards and love my 2014 pro 8'5" (106 lt) but looks like the repair of the crack on the desk 2 years ago is breaking down so probably time for a replacement. I have seen a 2019 8'3" (110 lt) for sale (diamond nose, thicker) and wonder if the comparison is similar. It is the Starlight not Blue Carbon. Would I be better with the 8 '? I have also read that the Starlight weighs over 8 kgs but factory specs somewhere said 7.? Any advice or ideas for the best fit welcome. Thank you

Jeroensurf
866 posts
17 Oct 2021 4:38PM
Thumbs Up

The 2019 have a slightly thinner nose and rails. When you surf them together you def notice it is a different board, but it also got that Starboard feel that let you know they are siblings from the same family. A Fanatic for example has complete different feel.
Starlight: I have carbon and starlight boards and like both but you definitely feel the weight and flex difference, but you get used that as well.
If I would have more money as I could spend every board would be the carbon version, but in the real world they are almost twice as expensive as the Starlight version that surfs well too.

Mlee
WA, 18 posts
17 Oct 2021 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jeroensurf said..
Starlight: I have carbon and starlight boards and like both but you definitely feel the weight and flex difference, but you get used that as well.

Thanks Jeroensurf. I noticed the latest boards are getting heavier as well as shorter eg 8' 2021 pro over 8 kgs plus more litres. My 2014 brushed carbon is so light to carry compared to the 2019 Starlight.

Jeroensurf
866 posts
17 Oct 2021 10:44PM
Thumbs Up

Agree, but they have a decent deckpad, using less polluting materials and cost less. unfortunately we can,t have it all.Because the price of the carbons is for me too steep as well and the Starlight too heavy I opted for 2 Smik boards instead of 1 starboard.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"comparing Starboard Pro 8'5" 2014 with 8'3" 2019" started by Mlee