Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Is anyone buying raceboards for $4899?

Created by paul.j > 9 months ago, 5 Jul 2022
paul.j
QLD, 3300 posts
5 Jul 2022 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

Maybe just some personal research for myself as a brand owner but I would love to know. I have just been looking at all the pricing for raceboards in Aus and seen $4500 plus for most brand-name raceboards, is anyone paying this amount for boards? As a brand owner I can see how a board can cost this much so not bagging brands for trying to overcharge as costs have to be this in some cases. There is one thing for a board to be $4-5g but another for the general public to pay this. Would love to hear people's thoughts and if its to high what you think is fair?

colas
4986 posts
6 Jul 2022 3:08AM
Thumbs Up

When you see the price of some toys such as high end bikes, I guess some people will buy them.
A "mere" racing kayak can reach more than 7000 AUD...

DaveSandan
VIC, 1364 posts
6 Jul 2022 6:21PM
Thumbs Up

Interesting question in these times as cost of living is on the rise. I have a carbon board a few years old and paid just under $3k at the time, there were $4-5k sups then too and I was not going to pay that much and I was earning more money then.
I don't race just love long distance runs on the 14fter so it's beyond what I see as value.

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
6 Jul 2022 9:53PM
Thumbs Up

No. But SUP foil and wing ding yes

Ashmullet
NSW, 282 posts
10 Jul 2022 8:54AM
Thumbs Up

Must be tough on u guys and the customer atm. Definitely turn a few people away that are new to the sport. Especially when other paddles sports in Australia anyway, have clubs etc where they can use club owned equipment right up to elite level. If ya serious about ya paddling though buying your first elite board gives you something to on sell and then covers a fair bit of next purchase if u make a good used board sale! In the current climate I think it's fair enough but how far does it go.

LucBenac
431 posts
10 Jul 2022 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
paul.j said..
Maybe just some personal research for myself as a brand owner but I would love to know. I have just been looking at all the pricing for raceboards in Aus and seen $4500 plus for most brand-name raceboards, is anyone paying this amount for boards? As a brand owner I can see how a board can cost this much so not bagging brands for trying to overcharge as costs have to be this in some cases. There is one thing for a board to be $4-5g but another for the general public to pay this. Would love to hear people's thoughts and if its to high what you think is fair?

Not for a "race" board if you meant a 24" to 20" wide flat water board. Here, you can find many used every year including this year so they are almost a commodity. After years of paddling and owning multiple boards in various width and style, I have found what type of board works for me in most conditions (must have) and what types of board that are nicer in certain conditions (nice to have).
I have my must have board and I am keeping it for as long as I can. I have not even considered flipping a nice to have board these last seasons based on price. Not blaming the brands at all as fully aware of the challenge of shipping both in terms of cost and capacity. It might come to a point where building local even on small scale become preferable to building in Asian countries and shipping. Local for local. You would know better than me. Could be that small shapers see an upsurge of interest for their best design or can license a design.
Now if my must have board was damaged beyond reasonable repair or stolen, would I pay to replace it. Yes, provided however that stock was available which right now is and remains a problem in itself regardless of price.
If I was to relate the above to your line in equivalence to the Sunova boards I use, would I pay for an Edge, no. Would I pay for a 26" wide EVO 2.0 (performance all water board) in middle of the line construction under 26lbs. Likely.
All the best with the business.

paul.j
QLD, 3300 posts
11 Jul 2022 6:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ashmullet said..
Must be tough on u guys and the customer atm. Definitely turn a few people away that are new to the sport. Especially when other paddles sports in Australia anyway, have clubs etc where they can use club owned equipment right up to elite level. If ya serious about ya paddling though buying your first elite board gives you something to on sell and then covers a fair bit of next purchase if u make a good used board sale! In the current climate I think it's fair enough but how far does it go.

Yeah in Aus it's not to bad for us as we are 100% direct to customer these days so a board that would retail for$4899 we can do for about the $3300 mark which we feel is more than fair these days. Might have to go up a little if things don't settle down soon though.

paul.j
QLD, 3300 posts
11 Jul 2022 6:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..
No. But SUP foil and wing ding yes

I will keep that in mind if we ever have a foil or board you want did you ever get the hat we sent you?

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
11 Jul 2022 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

Have hat and one of your 6 5 sup foils. Super light but not a fan of the swimming pool.

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
11 Jul 2022 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

Wife not a big fan of the hat. I think I got in 3 fights first night I wore it out

paul.j
QLD, 3300 posts
11 Jul 2022 7:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..
Wife not a big fan of the hat. I think I got in 3 fights first night I wore it out

Haha perfect

paul.j
QLD, 3300 posts
11 Jul 2022 7:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..

Haha perfect
Select to expand quote
hilly said..
Have hat and one of your 6 5 sup foils. Super light but not a fan of the swimming pool.

The Eggs have all but replaced the recessed deck boards(crazy they are already well over two years old) these days, so no real need for the recess which gets rid of the water on the deck so no need to pump it off with the Egg.
I really never minded the bit of water and did really like the feel of the recess once foiling but nothing beats the feel of the ease of getting up on the Egg boards. Just need to add more sizes now.

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
11 Jul 2022 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
paul.j said..

hilly said..

Haha perfect

hilly said..

The Eggs have all but replaced the recessed deck boards(crazy they are already well over two years old) these days, so no real need for the recess which gets rid of the water on the deck so no need to pump it off with the Egg.
I really never minded the bit of water and did really like the feel of the recess once foiling but nothing beats the feel of the ease of getting up on the Egg boards. Just need to add more sizes now.

Happy to demo a 135l model

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Is anyone buying raceboards for $4899?" started by paul.j