Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Video Editing 101

Created by Souwester > 9 months ago, 15 Jan 2021
Souwester
WA, 1255 posts
15 Jan 2021 9:27AM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys, I love seeing clips of surfing and have a little backlog of some clips from winter just gone. I struggle with the editing side of it. The clips I have are from a Go Pro Session, great little camera!

Do any of the Guru's on here that post a lot of clips (STC, SurfinJ, CSE, Tardy etc..) have any tips, hacks or pointers for putting together cool little clips for a beginner like me!

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2122 posts
15 Jan 2021 12:46PM
Thumbs Up

I used to always use the GoPro studio program. It was temperamental but simple. But they appear to have retired that program. So, the other day when I created my first video in a very long time I had to go to plan B.

I used VideoPad from NCH (I am on Windows). It has a similar flow to the GoPro software, and it didn't crash!

If you think you might use that program, I would be happy to provide some tips. I was lazy on my last edit and didn't add music, but that is easy to do, too.

Jason/CSE

Souwester
WA, 1255 posts
15 Jan 2021 4:31PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers Jason, I will check that out and have a look!

aceman8772
52 posts
15 Jan 2021 8:27PM
Thumbs Up

I try to video all my sessions from the front of the board facing back to see my foot work and body positioning as a beginner. I am too shy to show my kookiness but the videos come out alright. The program I use is Movie Maker on windows.

DaveSandan
VIC, 1364 posts
16 Jan 2021 7:04AM
Thumbs Up

If you are on Apple products I would suggest iMovie as a good program, easy to use and add music.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
16 Jan 2021 8:41AM
Thumbs Up

iMovie is what I use.

Tardy
4919 posts
16 Jan 2021 7:33AM
Thumbs Up

I Was impressed and inspired by DJ's surfing movies ...I ALSO use IMOVIE ...basically i have all my music on iTunes ,so easy to pick your favourite songs ,i have many un posted vids ,

with iMovie ,you can also adjusts colour and over exposure ,

can't wait to see your next vid

Souwester
WA, 1255 posts
16 Jan 2021 9:05AM
Thumbs Up

Got a Mac so will give the imovie a go

surfinJ
663 posts
16 Jan 2021 3:59PM
Thumbs Up

Looking forward to it. I am as well just using the simple iMovie platform. Having myself only minor computer savvy, the apple path is easy. Constructing the video from one sessions footage in chrono order gives me the flow I like. The music is then a hunt for something I like where the songs playtime matches the video length. Good luck.

supthecreek
2583 posts
16 Jan 2021 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Souwester, Yup.. IMovie is also what I use. it is very intuitive and forgiving, so just try things.... you will find it very user friendly. a word about using your favorite music on you vids:
if you upload to YouTube, you will most likely get flagged for using copyrighted material. the 3rd time it happens, you are permanently banned from YouTube and everything you uploaded disappears. Now, I use only the free audio content provided by IMovie itself. I love to see SUP surf vids, so I am hoping that you are going to post some here!
have fun!

dingfix
84 posts
16 Jan 2021 11:28PM
Thumbs Up

If not on Apple, I'd also recommend VideoPad. I tried quite a few products and found it easiest to use, a bit like Studio. Licensing is a little strict - they won't let you load a 2nd copy onto another device, I like to have on my desk pc an laptop for when i'm travelling. The free version seems to time-out after a while.

Souwester
WA, 1255 posts
17 Jan 2021 6:27AM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys, had a play around with the go pro app, liked the little tune it put to the clips so I ran with it and stretched the montage it made.

Loaded to my YouTube account and copied the link.

Tardy
4919 posts
17 Jan 2021 9:42AM
Thumbs Up

cruising it souwester ....good vibe music ,i like your paddle flip ...are you a cocktail waiter ...i could see you throwing those bottles around

Souwester
WA, 1255 posts
17 Jan 2021 11:14AM
Thumbs Up

Cheers Tardy, love your style too! I have been known to throw a shaker around and make a tasty espresso martini or two ????

supthecreek
2583 posts
17 Jan 2021 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

Killing it Sou'wester!
nice surfing and dedication for staying out after sunset

what is you cam view set at?

Souwester
WA, 1255 posts
17 Jan 2021 11:18PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks STC! Your Go Pro hat spec was what has been used. I am in between hats atm but will have another one sorted pretty quickly!

Opposite way around with the dark clip, before the sun was up - felt very sketchy but had a good bank to myself for a little while!

Just checked the go pro - 1080 60 W. I swear I used to be able to get the superview but can't seem to get it going now?

supthecreek
2583 posts
19 Jan 2021 10:31PM
Thumbs Up

On older GoPros the only way you could set to Superview was through the phone app. it's a free app from GoPro

Northerly
VIC, 22 posts
20 Jan 2021 11:14PM
Thumbs Up

Interesting timing of this thread.
I recently made a GoPro video using the GoPro software which I found easy to use on my IPad, not having a PC with me, but I've had all sorts of issues trying to upload it to YouTube. I seem to get the error uploading flag. I was thinking it may have been because I selected my own music?

surfinJ
663 posts
21 Jan 2021 4:10AM
Thumbs Up

In the water before dark, yea. Nice vid, enjoyed being along for the ride. The water was real smooth for your shreds.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Video Editing 101" started by Souwester