Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

An average windfoiler rides the 926 Phantasm

Created by aeroegnr > 9 months ago, 9 Aug 2022
aeroegnr
1497 posts
9 Aug 2022 4:18AM
Thumbs Up

I finally got the 926 out in good conditions after getting it. The previous two times were very short in marginal conditions and I had only tried a jibe once with a small sail. The other time was with an 8.0 foil glide, too tapped from getting flying to really practice jibes in very light wind.

I've been riding the FoilX 145 with the Infinity 76 for a while now, and got through a couple of jibes but I really wanted something with a little more lower end range and more glide. The 926 has both from what I can tell. I also grabbed a really short mast and the 103W, as I end up in either very shallow or very deep places with swell if I want to windsurf with any frequency. There are also a lot of light wind sea breeze days that are perfectly foible but aren't really good for finned windsurfing without huge gear.

This day my setup was: 926 with 103W aluminum. Jack plate set such that the front of the foil mast was pretty much in line with the front of the deep Tuttle fitting. 6.3 Freek.

Having reviewed some of the video, this may need to be pushed forward just a little bit, or maybe move the front straps a hole back. I may decide to do that but haven't yet. My rear foot seems to be migrating a bit aft of the footstrap hole center compared to how they were when riding the 76.

Overall, I was very happy with this setup that day. I felt really comfortable one handed, harnessed rides in the harness, and at least initiating and coming through the jibes dry (in some cases), and with some speed in others. The 103W mast feels like I have so much margin for height compared to the 85cm I have used on the 76, and noticeably more than the 95cm IQFoil because I think I feel more feedback when the Phantasm gets too close to the surface than the 900 wing. The 76 gave back the most feedback, but also seemed to rise more in the swells. The 926 seems to cut through them more while still getting some energy from them. This will need exploration as my wave wind foiling riding is.minimal. So my perspective may be off on this.

This video shows the day from the start through a few jibe attempts. Note these are really some of my first attempts ever on this foil. They went much better than with the other foils I've ridden. I still, however, see lots of mistakes with my entry and other corrections I need.

This is a short video showing a couple jibes, trying to duck the sail while foiling for the first time, and just casual riding. Note that I have yet to even try a duck while planing, just ducks while slogging around. I'm usually pretty good with them on this size sail and lower on this board but it requires more deliberate, faster movement when foiling and I didn't pull it off...but it says a lot about this foil that I felt comfortable to just go for it on this day. Hopefully I practice some more and go for a duck jibe as I think this setup would make them really smooth.

This is another video from a buddy who set up a stick with a camera on it, and we just tried flying and jibing around it. A lot of fun, and glad and thankful he did this. I think the last spill where I oversheeted some then backed off, I think I had in my mind to try to downwind 360 near the camera, and changed my mind mind carve back to a jibe...

sl55
128 posts
9 Aug 2022 8:26AM
Thumbs Up

This video helped me not to get stuck with the board straight downwind by adding a bit of sail steering to the carve.

aeroegnr
1497 posts
9 Aug 2022 8:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sl55 said..
This video helped me not to get stuck with the board straight downwind by adding a bit of sail steering to the carve.

Thanks! I felt a bit goofy because I was used to staying in the old front through the turn like I was doing on the 76. I missed the new front strap a few times while trying to step jibe instead. I'm hoping to get another good session soon!

CoreAS
869 posts
10 Aug 2022 1:52AM
Thumbs Up

Great looking glides in some light winds by the look of it. The ptm926 is an awesome foil.

Common mistake I saw (I used to coach wind foiling) is closing of the rig towards you like a windsurfing gybe! it's a muscle memory that's hard to undo
1. instead keep the hands and fairly straight out in front of you as you carve, don't bend the arms to much as that draws the rig in and creates an unbalance... obviously as the carve increases the back arm will sheet the sail in but don't over sheet.

2. keep the mast more upright

3. let the rig pull you through the turn and it will create a nice even and smooth reaction from the foil that allows you time to prepare for the foot switch.

aeroegnr
1497 posts
10 Aug 2022 2:15AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CoreAS said..
Great looking glides in some light winds by the look of it. The ptm926 is an awesome foil.

Common mistake I saw (I used to coach wind foiling) is closing of the rig towards you like a windsurfing gybe! it's a muscle memory that's hard to undo
1. instead keep the hands and fairly straight out in front of you as you carve, don't bend the arms to much as that draws the rig in and creates an unbalance... obviously as the carve increases the back arm will sheet the sail in but don't over sheet.

3. let the rig pull you through the turn and it will create a nice even and smooth reaction from the foil that allows you time to prepare for the foot switch.

Thanks! You're right. I have to remind myself to keep my front arm straighter. That's a cue that I miss sometimes when excited .

A lot of my improvement has come from taking time on the entry/setup. I see it here compared to how I have been in the past. My prep for the jibes used to be pretty nonexistent overall. I was also trying to move/flip way too early in the turn before even passing through straight downwind. Been focusing on the carve more than anything, so I need to remember to stay carving and get the front arm straighter.

CoreAS
869 posts
10 Aug 2022 3:14AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
aeroegnr said..

CoreAS said..

Thanks! You're right. I have to remind myself to keep my front arm straighter. That's a cue that I miss sometimes when excited .

A lot of my improvement has come from taking time on the entry/setup. I see it here compared to how I have been in the past. My prep for the jibes used to be pretty nonexistent overall. I was also trying to move/flip way too early in the turn before even passing through straight downwind. Been focusing on the carve more than anything, so I need to remember to stay carving and get the front arm straighter.

exactly! once you get the initial carve going smooth, having the rig pull you through rather than closing the rig towards you (that creates the foil instability part, as you are all hunched up) gives you more time to begin the foot switch.

I gybe 2 different ways depending on which tack I am on (weird I know) when on starboard tack I switch my feet right before the rig flip, but when foiling port tack, I flip the rig first with a much more delayed foot switch.

The guy in sl55 video has a very early foot switch, but it clearly works for him as his gybes are super clean, and just like windsurfing we all prefer to do our own signature transitions

aeroegnr
1497 posts
10 Aug 2022 3:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CoreAS said..

aeroegnr said..

CoreAS said..

exactly! once you get the initial carve going smooth, having the rig pull you through rather than closing the rig towards you (that creates the foil instability part, as you are all hunched up) gives you more time to begin the foot switch.

I gybe 2 different ways depending on which tack I am on (weird I know) when on starboard tack I switch my feet right before the rig flip, but when foiling port tack, I flip the rig first with a much more delayed foot switch.

The guy in sl55 video has a very early foot switch, but it clearly works for him as his gybes are super clean, and just like windsurfing we all prefer to do our own signature transitions

Yes, I'm surprised at how many different ways there are to do it when I struggled for so long to get my first ones, but that's good because it leaves a lot of room for fun.

I'm hoping to pull off some ducks on the foil soon. I think I will unload the sail a bit by going more downwind for practice. Then just carve through the turn as a separate step. I think it will work with enough speed but I don't know.

Foulweatherjack
75 posts
10 Aug 2022 4:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
aeroegnr said..
I finally got the 926 out in good conditions after getting it. The previous two times were very short in marginal conditions and I had only tried a jibe once with a small sail. The other time was with an 8.0 foil glide, too tapped from getting flying to really practice jibes in very light wind.

I've been riding the FoilX 145 with the Infinity 76 for a while now, and got through a couple of jibes but I really wanted something with a little more lower end range and more glide. The 926 has both from what I can tell. I also grabbed a really short mast and the 103W, as I end up in either very shallow or very deep places with swell if I want to windsurf with any frequency. There are also a lot of light wind sea breeze days that are perfectly foible but aren't really good for finned windsurfing without huge gear.

This day my setup was: 926 with 103W aluminum. Jack plate set such that the front of the foil mast was pretty much in line with the front of the deep Tuttle fitting. 6.3 Freek.

Having reviewed some of the video, this may need to be pushed forward just a little bit, or maybe move the front straps a hole back. I may decide to do that but haven't yet. My rear foot seems to be migrating a bit aft of the footstrap hole center compared to how they were when riding the 76.

Overall, I was very happy with this setup that day. I felt really comfortable one handed, harnessed rides in the harness, and at least initiating and coming through the jibes dry (in some cases), and with some speed in others. The 103W mast feels like I have so much margin for height compared to the 85cm I have used on the 76, and noticeably more than the 95cm IQFoil because I think I feel more feedback when the Phantasm gets too close to the surface than the 900 wing. The 76 gave back the most feedback, but also seemed to rise more in the swells. The 926 seems to cut through them more while still getting some energy from them. This will need exploration as my wave wind foiling riding is.minimal. So my perspective may be off on this.

This video shows the day from the start through a few jibe attempts. Note these are really some of my first attempts ever on this foil. They went much better than with the other foils I've ridden. I still, however, see lots of mistakes with my entry and other corrections I need.

This is a short video showing a couple jibes, trying to duck the sail while foiling for the first time, and just casual riding. Note that I have yet to even try a duck while planing, just ducks while slogging around. I'm usually pretty good with them on this size sail and lower on this board but it requires more deliberate, faster movement when foiling and I didn't pull it off...but it says a lot about this foil that I felt comfortable to just go for it on this day. Hopefully I practice some more and go for a duck jibe as I think this setup would make them really smooth.

This is another video from a buddy who set up a stick with a camera on it, and we just tried flying and jibing around it. A lot of fun, and glad and thankful he did this. I think the last spill where I oversheeted some then backed off, I think I had in my mind to try to downwind 360 near the camera, and changed my mind mind carve back to a jibe...

Nice videos! You are way ahead of me (I've yet to complete a foiling jibe). I notice you're foiling fairly early in next to no wind: I don't see any white caps at all (similar to what I have here in Georgia). What size sail were you on?

aeroegnr
1497 posts
10 Aug 2022 4:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Foulweatherjack said..

aeroegnr said..

Nice videos! You are way ahead of me (I've yet to complete a foiling jibe). I notice you're foiling fairly early in next to no wind: I don't see any white caps at all (similar to what I have here in Georgia). What size sail were you on?

Thanks! This was a 6.3 Freek. It picked up later and I could've gone down to my 5.6.

Funny thing is me and another guy (I weigh ~200lbs right now and he weighs 175) were on 6.3 and 6.5. Similar foil sizes (he was on superflyer).

Two other guys were also out. One on another superflyer and 8.0 foilglide, and the other on infinity 76 and 8.1. We were all flying but the 8.0s definitely were not having to pump almost at all. The guy on the 76 and 8.1 told me he was getting really scared when the wind picked up and had some nasty catapults. One guy that morning was riding a fin with 8.5.

aeroegnr
1497 posts
14 Aug 2022 6:01AM
Thumbs Up

4th time getting it flying and I got some good reaches for about 1-2miles. I am feeling like it is a little back foot heavy, so I think that I am going to mount it one setting forward without moving the jack plate itself, which is probably a 2-3cm. Had the mast foot back 1cm and felt a little bit of burn in the back leg even when it was behind the footstrap rear center area, and didn't feel like I had the upwind power that I should have.

The 103W really makes cruising long distances over chop and small swell super easy. And I do think that this wing gets flying a little earlier than the 76 now that I've had it out in similar to what was typical conditions on the 76 to me. It will take more rail pressure as well, and can carve hard, but I want a little more front foot power. Will update when I try it out.

aeroegnr
1497 posts
16 Aug 2022 8:28AM
Thumbs Up

I decided to go ahead and re-tefgel everything with the jack plate and shift it one position forward.

This is where I had it. The tuttle bolts are in the center. The outer bolts are one position forward of where I have used it, but I hadn't used it there it was just where I thought I needed it.

Notice that it did hang a little outside the back of the board.

I moved it one position back and moved the outer fasteners back to where they had been. This will move the foil a bit more forward.

The jack plate is now no longer sticking out the back. The foil mast will now be a few cm in front of the tuttle head. I was pretty liberal with the tefgel.

sl55
128 posts
16 Aug 2022 10:23AM
Thumbs Up

In the quest for the perfect balance I would take the foot-straps off and determine where your feet end up on the board. This will allow to move your feet in small increments to achieve the balance. Then you will see how far and where you need to move your jack plate. Then you can put the straps back on the board. I ended up moving the jack plate as far forward as it goes on my tuttle JP board.

aeroegnr
1497 posts
16 Aug 2022 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sl55 said..
In the quest for the perfect balance I would take the foot-straps off and determine where your feet end up on the board. This will allow to move your feet in small increments to achieve the balance. Then you will see how far and where you need to move your jack plate. Then you can put the straps back on the board. I ended up moving the jack plate as far forward as it goes on my tuttle JP board.

I've been using it with front straps only. Honestly there's not that many places they can go on this board, just one notch further forward or aft. Seems like I could fine tune with their position once I get the foil closer to the right place.

AdiZi
8 posts
16 Aug 2022 11:06PM
Thumbs Up

Do you know whether this jack plate is compatible with Starboard top plate masts?

aeroegnr
1497 posts
16 Aug 2022 11:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AdiZi said..
Do you know whether this jack plate is compatible with Starboard top plate masts?

I'm not sure. The Phantasm top has 4 regular holes on the same pattern as the inner holes on the older slingshot plate, and 4 outer slots that allow some slop. If the Starboard has slots and not holes then it may work but it would be good to check.

aeroegnr
1497 posts
16 Aug 2022 11:23PM
Thumbs Up

I just measured. Looks like the closest spacing is 115mm then the next available is 140mm on center. So the holes are 2.5cm apart on center.

segler
WA, 1601 posts
16 Aug 2022 11:27PM
Thumbs Up

Does the 926 wing fit onto the SABfoil 900 fuselage?

thedoor
2198 posts
16 Aug 2022 11:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
segler said..

pretty certain it will

thedoor
2198 posts
16 Aug 2022 11:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
segler said..

Phantasm wing on a stringfellow fuse made to fit sabfoil wings. There is a slight airgap when you look closely from a side view but not sure you would notice it on the water.

aeroegnr
1497 posts
18 Aug 2022 7:59AM
Thumbs Up

Took it out today. Mast base centered, 2.5cm in front of before. It felt better, less back footed, but I still wanted more. So I'll push it forward another 2.5 next time.

seaanchor
61 posts
19 Aug 2022 2:09AM
Thumbs Up

You could move your front straps back that would have the same affect?

aeroegnr
1497 posts
19 Aug 2022 3:49AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seaanchor said..

It will but the inserts don't go far back enough if that was it. The initial placement of the mast relative to the tuttle was a guess based on how it looked vs. the 76 wing that I had been running. I have them in the center holes and there's only a single one forward and a single one back. If I had left it as I originally set it up and moved the straps all the way back, it would still be too backfooted.

The jack plate has something like 15cm of adjustability in tuttle head position and an additional 5cm on the mast/jack plate. So 20cm in the foil is available alone. There's nowhere near that on the straps.

powersloshin
NSW, 1656 posts
19 Aug 2022 6:46AM
Thumbs Up

I had my foil mast all the way forward on a powerplate, far from the deep tuttle, and with a big front wing I managed to bend it ! So I would suggest to be careful with that setting.

aeroegnr
1497 posts
19 Aug 2022 4:49AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
powersloshin said..
I had my foil mast all the way forward on a powerplate, far from the deep tuttle, and with a big front wing I managed to bend it ! So I would suggest to be careful with that setting.

What bent? The powerplate?

powersloshin
NSW, 1656 posts
21 Aug 2022 8:07AM
Thumbs Up

Yes the powerplate ( I am 76 kgs plus wet gear)

Foulweatherjack
75 posts
21 Aug 2022 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
aeroegnr said..

seaanchor said..

It will but the inserts don't go far back enough if that was it. The initial placement of the mast relative to the tuttle was a guess based on how it looked vs. the 76 wing that I had been running. I have them in the center holes and there's only a single one forward and a single one back. If I had left it as I originally set it up and moved the straps all the way back, it would still be too backfooted.

The jack plate has something like 15cm of adjustability in tuttle head position and an additional 5cm on the mast/jack plate. So 20cm in the foil is available alone. There's nowhere near that on the straps.

Aero:
You make an interesting point about the Starboard FoilX 145 feeling "backfooted" with the Slingshot range of foils. Although I don't (yet?) have a Phantasm, when I sail on my i99 it feels as if the center of effort of the foil is farther aft than it ought to be. I'm thinking about just getting a Phantasm deep Tuttle jack plate adapter so that I can use the Hoverglide top plate to move the Hoverglide mast farther forward to get rid of that "backfooted" feeling.

Which begs the question, will the Hoverglide top plate mate with the Phantasm deep Tuttle jack plate adapter?

Also, when you install the Phantasm jack plate, do you need to drill out the holes in the Tuttle box on the board? It's unclear based upon what I've read.

aeroegnr
1497 posts
21 Aug 2022 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Foulweatherjack said..

aeroegnr said..

seaanchor said..

Aero:
You make an interesting point about the Starboard FoilX 145 feeling "backfooted" with the Slingshot range of foils. Although I don't (yet?) have a Phantasm, when I sail on my i99 it feels as if the center of effort of the foil is farther aft than it ought to be. I'm thinking about just getting a Phantasm deep Tuttle jack plate adapter so that I can use the Hoverglide top plate to move the Hoverglide mast farther forward to get rid of that "backfooted" feeling.

Which begs the question, will the Hoverglide top plate mate with the Phantasm deep Tuttle jack plate adapter?

Also, when you install the Phantasm jack plate, do you need to drill out the holes in the Tuttle box on the board? It's unclear based upon what I've read.

The 99 felt backfooted on the Blast for me as well, even with the switch fuse in C, which is all the adjustment I had.

I think the slingshot top plate will work but I'll have to double-check when I'm home.

I drilled my board a little. I did use it at first with m6 screws and the m6 to m10 adapters in the medium tuttle head. But then I drilled the board with an 8mm bit with some filing to carefully widen it up. Now I'm using m8x60 I think, which are about 4 washers too long.
The medium tuttle has m10 holes, the deep tuttle has m8. I had drilled my blast out before to fit the m10s on the old slingshot tuttle head and it was much more opening up needed than on the foilx. The foilx just needed a little bit of removal to fit m8s.
This also makes me think that I need to hound one of my buddies here with a sb superflyer and see where the front wing is relative to the tuttle. They don't have any fore/aft adjustment so their 102 fuse has to be spot on.

aeroegnr
1497 posts
22 Aug 2022 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

The old slingshot top plate lines up just fine

Foulweatherjack
75 posts
22 Aug 2022 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
aeroegnr said..
The old slingshot top plate lines up just fine

Thanks, Aero. I may try this strategy of moving my Slingshot foils forward a few centimeters before investing in new foils. It would be nice to get rid of that "backfooted" feeling. I appreciate your taking the time to look at this for me.

aeroegnr
1497 posts
22 Sep 2022 8:11AM
Thumbs Up

First time out in over a month due to storms almost every day when I had time to go out.

Decided to try the further forward position. It was really gusty but I got on foil a few times. I liked the feel. Going off of memory it felt a lot more balanced and turny. Didn't get to attempt to jibe unfortunately due to wicked wind shadows in this wind direction but I think it'll go a lot better.

The foil appeared to have more feel in the front foot when approaching the stall but I may be deluding myself due to being off the water so long.

aeroegnr
1497 posts
23 Sep 2022 7:46AM
Thumbs Up

Was able to get out again today. Similar conditions but I changed the launch site so that I wasn't dealing with offshore wind.

That position felt GREAT. I put the rear straps on in the center (front in center too), and had steady flights in front and rear, island hopping, of a little over a mile. It was much easier to stay foiling longer in the jibes, almost came out of two on foil while running a strap jibe with the 6.3.

It seemed to pump quicker up on foil too. Shlog in both straps and wait for a gust and just pump up and fly away.

I'll probably shift the tuttle head to the rear most position to give it a little bit more adjustment around the sweet spot, maybe push it all the way forward just to see.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"An average windfoiler rides the 926 Phantasm" started by aeroegnr